zaterdag 9 mei 2009

Using Sing language with our baby

I recently started using sign language with Caitlin. I read there has been a movement to teach and encourage the use of sign language with toddlers before they learn to talk, because such young children can communicate effectively with signed languages well before they are physically capable of speech. This is typically referred to as Baby Sign.

I have to say that my efforts are met with some cynisicm from my wife, but recent studies seem to indicate that there is some truth behind the theory.
According to a study carried out by researchers like Acredolo and Goodwyn, using sign language with babies has the following benefits:

* larger expressive and receptive spoken language vocabularies;
* more advanced mental development;
* a reduction in problematic behaviours like tantrums resulting from frustration;
* and improved parent–child relationships.

Of course Caitlin is still too young to show any of those benefits, but I hope that in a couple of months we will have our first "conversation".

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten