vrijdag 15 mei 2009

My Education - Part 1

Saki, the Scottish writer, once said the following about education : "But, good gracious, you've got to educate him first. You can't expect a boy to be vicious till he's been to a good school."

Education is something that has been running through my life like a thick red line. I have 2 websites dedicated to constant learning (Levenslangleren.be in Dutch and Levenslangleren.info in English), I try constantly to learn new things and have been to quite a lot of schools and taken numerous courses.

Here a short overview of my past academic failures and accomplishments:

- Kindergarten : The memories are a bit vague, but I do remember some parts of it. I went to the "Kleuterschool Het Prinsenhof" in Grimbergen, from the ages of 3 till 6. We are talking about the period from 1970 till 1973.
- Primary Education was from 1974 till 1981, at the "Basisschool Het Prinsenhof" in Grimbergen. It was quite a happy time, and i have some fond memories of going to school there. My first teacher was Juffrouw De Wit, and other teachers that I will remember are Meester Siccard, Meester Mergaerts en Meester Van Den Block. Yes, we all call our teachers "Masters" :)
- Secondary Education was from 1981 till 1987 at the Sint-Joris Instituut in Brussels. A catholic all-boys' school with a good reputation and not as strict as the nearby Sint-Jan Berchmans (which produced some of our worst racist politician). I first took Latin, but later went on to take Modern Languages with as little mathematics as possible.
I have only fond memories of this school, even if there were some bullies and my school results were not always as good as I would have liked them to be.

I do remember taking Typing lessons (while waiting for my dad who worked in the neighbourhood) and getting great marks (i'm typing this quite fast).

At the end of the final year I took a PMS test (Psycho-Medical-Social centre) which stated I would probably not accomplish a lot at university.

But I passed my maturity test (which is something resembling A-levels) and went on to go to university. For those interested: my maturity thesis was in English: "The History of Cinema"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten