maandag 7 maart 2011

A quick visit to South England

this entry deals with June 19th - June 23rd 2002

From June 19th till June 23rd 2002 I went to the south of England with a German friend of mine, Christine. We drove with my green Fiat Punto down to Calais, where we got on a boat from the SeaFrance company. In those days a 5-day ticket for 2 persons and a car cost 153 Euro. I wonder how much that would be now.
If my memory serves me well, we visited Dover, Rye, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury and we stopped at a friend's, Gary. I have to check for more information, as it is all a bit blurry at the moment, but I do remember visiting a chapel that was actually an ossuary.

Further research on the internet reveals that it was actually St Leonard’s Church in Hythe. Better known as “The Church with the Bones” due to the ossuary in the crypt. It is one of only two ossuaries in England (the other being in Rothwell, Northants) and contains 2,000 human skulls, 8,000 thighbones, a few jaw bones and other various artefacts. The skull and thighbones were usually kept as it was believed that it would ensure physical resurrection.

The exact origin of the bones is unclear, legend has it that they are the remains of Saxon soldiers killed in a battle fought nearby that were dug up when the existing church was built in 1080. A more likely explanation is that they were dug up and stored in the Middle Ages when it was customary to re-use burial plots.
I also remember we slept in a place called "The White House Farm". I'll try to find more details later.
Update: Christine contacted me and helped me remember some more details. I updated the blog accordingly.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten