maandag 29 december 2014

Understanding the Norwegian language

In the Summer of 2015 I am planning a trip to Norway. And normally I always try to learn at least a bit of the local language. I tried so with Estonian (failed dismally), Hungary (a bit more luck) and Turkey (long forgotten, but at least I didn't starve when I went across the border.

And now I will start to learn Norwegian. Which is a bit problematic, as I don't know *which* Norwegian to learn. According to wikipedia, they have Bokmål, Nynorsk, Riksmål and Høgnorsk.
I understand that some are for written use, and others for talking, although apparently most Norwegians write one thing and speak another thing (often dialect).

So which one should I learn? It helps to say that I have a basic understanding of Danish vocabulary and pronunciation (but not grammar), so something that would use that as a basis might be practical.

1 opmerking:

  1. I didn't know you tried to learn Estonian :D
    Sorry, but I really cannot help you with Norwegian...seems cyrillic to me :D Anyhow, somehow I find Norwegian easy to read (sometimes) because of its similarity to English and to some Estonian words (distant similarities)

    Anyway, once you find out which one to learn, good luck!

    And happy new year :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen